I have a strong interest in Waveplace’s OLPC project in Haiti, for several reasons.
- Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world.
- Haiti suffered dire punishment starting two centuries ago for having the only successful slave rebellion in any European colony.
- Some Christians, such as Pat Robertson, have claimed that Haiti’s punishment was deserved, for making a deal with the Devil.
- Although Haiti received 10,000 OLPC XOs from the first Give One Get One campaign, most of them lie in warehouses for lack of electricity in the schools.
- Haiti has not recovered from its most recent devastating earthquake.
- I stepped up to be the first localization administrator for Haitian Creole/Kreyòl Ayisyen, when OLPC management failed to recruit one.
My Haitian does not go much beyond Yon Laptòp pou Chak Grenn Timoun (One Laptop Per Child) and Bon shans! (Good luck). But I didn’t need to know Haitian Creole in order to recruit those who did, administer their accounts, and occasionally commit their work on Pootle.
Fortunately, others have taken over that work, including Waveplace, and I have been able to recruit translators to Cambodian Khmer, Spanish, and Arabic. Nevertheless, I consider Haiti a priority, and help them whenever I get a chance. Please spread the word on these translation needs, and consider a donation of your own time or money to Waveplace.
Sugar Labs plans to put all of these e-learning materials into the Replacing Textbooks OER repository, as soon as we get one up. ^_^
De : Timothy[/firstname.lastname@example.org]
Envoyé : jeudi 5 mai 2011 16:18
À : Squeakland List; grassroots OLPC; email@example.com; Maho 2010; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Etoys-Dev List; IAEP; Support Gangsters
Objet : [support-gang] volunteer translators needed
Hi partners and friends,
We’re looking for a little help with our Waveplace courseware. We’re hoping to get it all translated into:
- Haitian Creole
Our funds are limited, so I wanted to know if you have any volunteers who could possibly help in this effort.
Our courseware is located at http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Courseware. So far, the lessons we have finished are:
- General–>Basic Etoys (needs outlines and projects translated)
- Language Arts–>Storytelling (needs outlines translated)
- Mathematics–>Geometry (needs outlines and projects translated)
- Science–> Motion (needs projects translated)
- Health–> Clean water (unfinished but can translate what projects are finished)
- Health–> Malaria (unfinished but can outlines in the meantime)
- Technology–>Sugar (needs outlines translated)
As you can see, it’s a bit of work. Many things are already translated into Haitian Creole, but not everything.
Please let me know if you can offer any help to us!
Thanks so much!
+ 1 610 797 3100 x33